Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Prompt:  The Journey by Mary Oliver

My heart swayed, caught between doing the right and doing the wrong. How was I supposed to choose when doing the right also seemed wrong and doing the wrong also felt right? What am I to do? The voices in my head won't stop shouting and nothing that they say is helpful. The longer I sit here in silence, the more my world collapses. I stood up, feeling the house shake, the wind pulling at it's foundation with a whine. I knew it now, I knew what I had to do. I had to save the only life I could save. I strode forward, things pulling at my ankles, begging me to stay. It was a sea of barriers that were next to impossible to get through. Right after left, I forced my feet to keep moving and I finally broke free of my imprisonment. I ran as hard and as fast as my body permitted, the world around me slowly falling away. If I didn't make it in time I would be swallowed away with this world and I, too, would be non-existent. The landscape was gray and barren, the trees were black and dead, scorched beyond recognition. Dry, ugly leaves crunched underneath my feet and there was no sun. Everything appeared colorless, the only thing vibrant were my red converse sneakers. This world was destroyed beyond repair, my home obliterated by the selfishness it harbored. I would have to start a new, it had to be done. I lost everything but I couldn't turn back now, what I knew was gone and there was nothing I could do about it. The crusted earth under my feet crumbled and it was hard to keep my footing; I didn't know if I would make it. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this piece, it is both metaphorical to internal struggle, but could also make a very cool story. Your descriptive words are amazing. I'd suggest breaking up your thoughts into more paragraphs. It would make it a bit easier to follow and help it flow. I love it though, a lot.

    ReplyDelete